Does your homeowners insurance cover roof replacement? Whether it’s a catastrophic event or an unfortunate accident, you’ll need to make sure that you’re adequately covered in such circumstances on your Bossier City, LS home. However, as far as roofing damage is concerned, people have little knowledge about what exactly is covered by their homeowners’ insurance policy and whether or not they will get money for their new roof.
Homeowners Insurance and Roof Replacement
Most homeowners’ insurance policies pay for roof replacement if the roof is damaged by some natural disaster or extreme weather events like snowstorms or lightning strikes. However, your policy may not pay for a new roof for the damage that occurred due to regular wear and tear or lack of maintenance. That said, each situation is different and the exact coverage you will receive largely depends on your insurance provider.
Limitations and Exclusions
Some of the common policy exclusions include regular wear and tear, old age, and lack of maintenance. If you’ve tried any DIY methods that have damaged your roof or you haven’t kept up with regular maintenance, your roofing company may reject your claim.
Other limitations may include having two or more roofing layers, using recycled shake shingles, or in some cases, the geographical location of your home may also affect the level of coverage you’re eligible for.
How to Fill Your Insurance Claim?
First of all, get in touch with your insurance company. They will access your roof to determine the extent of damage that has occurred. However, before calling the insurance company, it is important to collect as many documents and photographs of the damaged roof as possible. Also, make sure to keep a copy of your existing home insurance policy, receipts of any previous roofing work conducted on your roof, and any reports of inspections, among others.
Do You Need A Roof Replacement? Look out for the following signs:
As per National Roofing Contractors Association, every homeowner should get roof inspections done every six months. This simple step can help you detect and fix potential issues when they are still in their early stages. Furthermore, you should get your roof inspected by professionals after every major weather hazard to ensure that every component is performing properly.
Let’s take a look at some of the important things to look for:
- Old and Damaged Shingles: Keep an eye out for worn-out and old shingles that are missing, split, buckled, or curled.
- Clogged Gutters: Make sure that your roofing gutters are free from any obstructions. Get your downspouts and gutters inspected by experienced professionals to determine the presence of granules.
- Water damage: Make sure to properly inspect the indoors for any signs of water damage. The signs may include cracked paint, peeling wallpaper, or discolored plasterboard, among others.
- Ventilation: Your roof ventilation should be unblocked and open for efficient air circulation. In absence of good ventilation, excess moisture and heat can build up in your attic space that can damage your roof over time.
- Attic insulation: if the insulation in your attic is damp, it may be a sign of a leak.
- Flashing: Inspect the flashing around skylights, chimney, and vents for any signs of damage such as breaks and cracks.
Get In Touch
At Alpha Roofing, we work closely with homeowners and their insurance providers so that their roof replacement projects go as smoothly as possible. Contact our experts at 318-373-5875 to schedule a FREE in-home consultation and to get a FREE estimate today.