Things You Need to Know About Composition Shingles
If you are in the market for a new roof, you will have a wide range of alternatives to choose from. Composition roofing is a popular choice since it is a low-cost, quick-to-install shingle roof system that will keep your house safe.
But how does a composition roof work? Composition roofing comprises what materials? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a composite roof?
We will provide you with the answers to these questions and more below.
What is a Composition Roof, and how does it differ from a traditional roof?
It is a sort of asphalt shingle roofing that can be made to look like a variety of other roofing materials. With composition roofing, you may choose from a wide range of materials to meet your home’s unique architectural needs. The options include fiberglass, asphalt, and even recycled paper.
Composition shingles are fireproof and water-resistant, thanks to this combination of components. Besides, they prevent the formation of mold, mildew, and algae. In addition, even when exposed to extreme weather, they do not easily break, peel, or distort.
Manufacturers do not create all composition shingles equally. Yet, many consist of recyclable materials, such as plastic, rubber, and wood shavings. This feature makes them a more environmentally friendly roofing alternative than other varieties on the market.
How Long Do Composition Roofs Last?
The typical lifespan of a composition roof is roughly 30 years. However, some roofs can endure longer than that. Composition roofing has a reputation for being long-lasting because of its durability.
Likewise, it is important to remember that the lifespan of a composition roof depends on several elements. These factors include your region’s severe weather events, the materials used to make your composition roofing, and the competence and experience of your roofing contractor.
The advantages and disadvantages of using composition shingles
- Pros of Composition Roofs:
- Quick and simple installation
- Color, form, and style are all adaptable.
- Made with high-quality components.
- Resistant to mold and mildew, as well as algae.
- 30+years of lifespan
- Environmentally friendly/recyclable alternatives
- Cons of Composition Roofs:
- Premature aging can result from overexposure to the sun and extreme temperatures.
- Poor ventilation can reduce the life expectancy of a roof.
- Any forceful impact can cause breakages, such as that from a falling branch or hail.
Composition Roofing Vs Other Shingle Types: Which is Better?
- Natural Material vs. Composition Roofs.
- Slate: Composite shingles are substantially lighter than real slate roofing, weighing roughly a fourth of the weight. Also, they are less expensive and easier to install without scarifying style or look.
- Cedar Shakes: Genuine wood deteriorates far more quickly than synthetic materials like plastic and rubber. Therefore, composition roofing keeps its look for a longer amount of time than natural wood.
- Asphalt Shingles Vs. Composition Roof
You can interchange composition roofing and asphalt shingle roofing. Moreover, when properly maintained, they may endure a long period and are easy to install.
Composition roof shingles are more environmentally friendly than asphalt shingle roofs since manufacturers construct them from a mixture of typically recyclable components.
- Metal Vs. Composition Roofs
Composition is less expensive and easier to install than metal. However, metal roofing has substantial advantages over other roofing types, including composition.
Most other types of roofing can’t hold up to metal’s combination of durability, energy efficiency, and longevity. Yet, metal is also the most expensive option. So, in the end, your budget will define what option is the best for you between composition or metal roofing.
Get a Free Roof Replacement Estimate Today!
Are you ready to begin the process of replacing your roof? It is not enough to buy the best roofing materials. Also, it is necessary to hire a professional and reputable contractor. With this combination, you will get a high-quality roofing system that will protect your home.
Contact Alpha Roofing in Shreveport and Bossier City, LA for advice on the finest roofing material for your property. We are one of the leading asphalt shingle or metal roofing suppliers in Louisiana. We only use the highest quality roofing systems to safeguard your house, loved ones, and goods. You can reach us by phone at 318-373-5856.